|1 cup||(250 ml)||18% table or 10% half-and-half cream|
|1/3 cup||(75 ml)||maple syrup|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||packed light brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||milk|
|2 tsp||(10 ml)||vanilla extract|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||butter|
|1 loaf||(500 g)||sliced brioche or egg bread (about 14 slices)|
|3 cups||(750 ml)||fresh mixed berries of your choice|
- Custard Mixture: In a saucepan, heat cream with maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon stick over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a shallow dish and stir in milk; let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Whisk into cooled milk mixture and remove cinnamon stick.
- Preheat oven to 250°F (121°C).
- Add about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter to a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Dip 1 slice of bread into custard mixture, coating both sides well. Let excess drip off, then place on griddle. Repeat with bread slices to fit as many slices as possible, leaving enough space around them to flip. Let cook for about 3 minutes until golden, then flip to cook the other side another 2 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining custard and bread. Place baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Serve with berries.
- Optional variation: Serve French toast dolloped with 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of more maple syrup if desired.