|2 ½ cups||(625 ml)||Homogenized milk (whole milk)|
|½ cup||(325 ml)||Short grain rice (e.g. Arborio)|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||Salt|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||Vanilla|
|¼ cup||(60 ml)||White sugar|
|¾ cup||(175 ml)||Walnuts, coarsely chopped|
|¼ cup||(60 ml)||Maple syrup or brown sugar, for garnish|
- In a heavy saucepan, bring milk, rice and salt to a boil. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Turn down heat and gently simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes until thick and creamy. Stir often.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk into the rice mixture until well combined.
- Cook over low heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Add ½ cup of the chopped walnuts and reserve the rest for garnish.
- Serve warm or cold with a garnish of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.