|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||butter|
|3 cups||(750 ml)||quartered, thinly sliced onions|
|1 1/2 cups||(375 ml)||water|
|1 1/2 tbsp||(22 ml)||beef broth mix|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|1 3/4 cup||(430 ml)||milk|
|3/4 cup||(175 ml)||grated Mozzarella cheese|
|3/4 cup||(175 ml)||grated Swiss cheese|
|salt, to taste|
|pepper, to taste|
|1 1/2 cup||(375 ml)||Butter Croutons|
|1 1/2 cup||(375 ml)||bread, cubed|
|3 tbsp||(45 ml)||butter, melted|
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring regularly, until onions are transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Add water and broth mix. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the milk. Add to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
- Toss together the Canadian Mozzarella and Swiss cheeses. Add half of the cheese mixture to the soup and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven-proof soup bowls. Sprinkle with butter croutons and top with remanining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Serve.
- While onions are cooking or the broth is simmering, it's a good time to make the croutons.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Toss cubed break in the melted butter. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and put in oven. Bake for 5-7 minutes, flip and bake for another 5-7 minutes.