|1 cup||(250 ml)||granulated sugar (divided)|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||milk|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||cornstarch|
|1/4 tsp||(1 ml)||salt|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||unsalted butter|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||vanilla|
- In heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the sugar and 2 tbsp (30 ml) water; cook, stirring, until sugar melts.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil without stirring; boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until dark amber colour. Remove from heat and immediately add milk. Return to low heat and stir until caramel is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in heatproof bowl, whisk together egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar, cornstarch and salt until mixture resembles a thick paste. Gradually whisk in one-quarter of the hot milk mixture, then return to saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Divide among individual bowls; cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper directly on surface. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Tip: Serve topped with whipped cream, toffee bits and/or pretzel pieces.