|1 cup||(250 ml)||pearl barley|
|3 cups||(750 ml)||water|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||ground anise seed, approximately|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||brown sugar, lightly packed|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||raisins|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||milk|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||chopped or slivered almonds, toasted|
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, combine barley, water and anise.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in brown sugar, raisins and milk.
- Divide among eight dessert dishes or ramekins.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds on top of each and serve warm.