|2||(large)||Potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||Carrots, chopped|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||frozen Peas|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||Butter|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||Flour|
|2 cups + 1/2 cup||(500 ml + 125 ml)||warmed Milk|
|1 can||(213 g)||Salmon|
|1/4 tsp||(1 ml)||Dill|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||each Salt and pepper, approximately|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||Cheddar cheese, grated and divided|
- Preheat oven to 350 C. Grease a 1.4 L casserole dish and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and turn to medium, until fork tender.
- In a separate pot, cook carrots and peas together until just tender.
- While the vegetable mixture is cooking, melt the butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium low heat, being careful not to brown it.
- Add the flour and stir until fully mixed. The butter and flour mixture should bubble up slightly. Add about ½ cup of the warm milk slowly, stirring to keep the mixture smooth.
- While stirring, add the remainder 1 ½ cups of the warm milk slowly. Heat to just a gentle rolling simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 6-8 minutes until you reach your desired consistency. Turn heat to low, add dill and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain salmon and add to cream sauce, along with carrots and peas and stir until mixed.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and mash with ½ cup milk and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Put salmon mixture into casserole and then top with potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes until warm and bubbly.