|1||(medium)||butternut squash, peeled and cubed, approximately 3 cups|
|1||(medium)||onion, peeled and cut in half|
|1||(large)||parsnip, peeled and cut in thirds|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||olive oil, divided|
|1||(large)||Granny Smith apple, halved and cored|
|6 cups||(1.5 L)||chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium)|
|1/2 tsp||(3 ml)||Fennel seed (optional)|
|3/4 tsp||(4 ml)||Italian seasoning|
|1/2 tsp||(3 ml)||cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||(2 ml)||nutmeg|
|2 tsp||(10 ml)||Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||Greek yogurt (low fat)|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||milk|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||cornstarch|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||parsley, chopped|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||salt and pepper, approximately|
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large bowl toss squash, onion and parsnip in one tbsp of the olive oil and place on baking sheet.
- Slice top 1/3 off the head of garlic and brush with olive oil. Wrap garlic in foil and set on baking sheet with vegetables. Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 45-50 minutes until vegetables are fork tender. Remove baking sheet from oven. Set garlic aside.
- While vegetables are roasting, lightly brush apple with olive oil and add to pan the last 15 minutes of roasting.
- In a medium pot on low heat, add broth, fennel oil, Italian seasoning, cinnamon, nutmeg and Mrs. Dash. Stir well.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin into a food processor or large blender. In batches, add roasted vegetables and apples, adding just enough broth to blend until smooth. Transfer pureed soup to a large pot. Repeat until all vegetables and broth are pureed. Add bay leaf and bring to a gentle simmer for 10- 15 minutes and reduce to low heat.
- In medium bowl, mix 1 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt, milk and cornstarch. Stir well to blend thoroughly. Slowly add about 2 cups of soup to the yogurt mixture, stirring well. Return mixture to soup pot and stir, add salt and pepper to taste and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix parsley with remaining yogurt and refrigerate until ready to serve. Ladle soup into a bowl and garnish with a dollop of the yogurt mixture.
- Freezes well.