|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||Butter|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||Flour|
|1 1/4 cups||(310 ml)||Room Temperature Milk|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||Salt and White Pepper, approximately|
- Melt butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium low heat. Ensure that the butter does not brown.
- Add flour and stir until fully mixed. The butter and flour mixture should bubble up slightly.
- Add about ½ cup (125 ml) of the warm milk slowly, stirring to keep the mixture smooth.
- Add the remainder of the warm milk slowly, stirring constantly.
- Heat to just a gentle rolling simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until desired consistency and flour is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Dill White Sauce: Add 3 tbsp (45 ml) of fresh dill with the salt and pepper in step 6.
- Curry White Sauce: Add 2 tsp (10 ml) of curry powder to the melted butter in step 1. Simmer for 1 minute before adding the flour.
- Swiss White Sauce: Add ½ cup (125 ml) of grated Swiss cheese at the end of step 5. Add in portions while stirring.