|3 tbsp||(45 ml)||pesto|
|3 tbsp||(45 ml)||light mayonnaise|
|1 clove||fresh minced garlic (optional)|
|2 - 8 oz loaves||whole wheat Artisan bread cut in half lengthwise|
|3/4 to 1 lb||leftover cooked chicken, sliced thin|
|1||(medium)||fresh zucchini, sliced thin|
|1-2||(medium)||fresh Roma tomatoes, sliced thin|
|6-8 oz||(140-170 ml)||roasted red pepper|
|4-5 oz||(100-110 g)||fresh baby spinach|
|4 oz||(120 g)||Provolone cheese (6 slices cut in half)|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||balsamic vinegar|
- Turn the broiler on medium high.
- Mix together pesto, mayonnaise and minced garlic (optional) in a small bowl.
- Evenly spread the pesto mix onto the cut bread.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until lightly toasted. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Remove the bread from the oven and add toppings by alternating slices of chicken, zucchini, tomato, roasted red pepper and spinach leaves. Top with Provolone cheese.
- Place the bread back under the broiler (about 6 inches) until well heated through and the cheese is golden brown.
- Let rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut each 1/2 loaf of bread into 6 pieces. Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and enjoy!
- Use 1 whole wheat baguette cut in half lengthwise instead of the smaller Artisan loaves.
- Use leftover turkey or ham instead of chicken.
- Add a few slices of fresh red onion with the other vegetables.