|1||boneless top sirloin beef roast or sirloin tip (about 3 lb/1.5 kg)|
|1/2 tsp||(2mL)||each salt and pepper|
|3 tbsp||(45 mL)||all-purpose flour, divided|
|1/4 cup||(60 mL)||butter, divided|
|1 1/2 cups||(375 mL)||whole milk (3.25%)|
|1/2 cup||(125 mL)||beef broth|
|2 sprigs||fresh rosemary|
Garlic Whipped Potatoes
|2 lb||(1 kg)||yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled|
|1/2 cup||(125 mL)||half and half cream (10%)|
|1/3 cup||(75 mL)||butter, softened|
|1/2 tsp||(2 mL)||salt|
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Sprinkle the beef roast all over with salt and pepper and coat in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the flour.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter over medium-high heat and brown roast all over. Place roast into an 11 x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) oval baking dish with a lid (or cover tightly with tin foil). Add milk, broth and rosemary; cover and roast for about 3 hours or until meat is fork tender. (Do not turn the roast while cooking.)
- Garlic Whipped Potatoes: Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes and garlic for about 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain and return to pot. Add cream, butter and salt. Using a hand mixer, beat potatoes until smooth; keep warm.
- Remove roast from baking dish and place on cutting board. (Milk mixture will look curdled.) Discard rosemary stems and carefully transfer milk mixture and solids from baking dish into a blender. Add remaining flour and butter to blender and blend until smooth. (Use a low setting as the mixture is hot.) Pour milk mixture into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer and cook, whisking until thickened slightly.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Slice, or, using 2 forks, pull apart beef roast and serve with sauce and Garlic Whipped Potatoes.