|1 box||(375 g)||uncooked whole wheat macaroni or corkscrew noodles|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||milk|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||low-sodium chicken broth|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||butter|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||flour|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||leftover roasted veggies (I leave out potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn and focus more on non-starchy veggies like Brussel sprouts, broccoli, squash, carrots, etc.)|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||leftover turkey, shredded|
|3 cups plus 1 cup||(1 L)||shredded cheese (your choice, or a combination)|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||nutmeg|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||dry mustard|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||panko bread crumbs|
|freshly ground pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and grease a large casserole dish.
- Cook noodlers as per directions on box or package (to "al dente").
- As the noodles are cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add flour and stir with a spatula until well combined. Add milk and broth little by little, stirring well, until flour/butter mixture is incorporated evenly. Add 3 cups (750 ml) of cheese and stir until "saucy". Add nutmeg and mustard, and reduce heat to low and cover (stirring occasionally).
- Add leftover roasted veggies, turkey, and cooked noodles. Stir to combine. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In a separate small dish, combine bread crumbs and remaning 1 cup (250 ml) of cheese. Season with pepper to taste. Sprinkle over top of mac n cheese mixture. Pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden on top. Cool and serve.