|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||butter, unsalted|
|2 cloves||fresh garlic, minced|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||brown rice, wash in cold water|
|4 cups||(1 L)||low sodium chicken broth|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||each salt and pepper, approximately|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||butter, unsalted|
|8 oz||(230 g)||cooked chicken breast, diced|
|3 cloves||fresh garlic, minced|
|2 sticks/ribs||fresh celery, diced|
|1||(medium)||fresh carrot, diced|
|1||(medium)||fresh red bell pepper, cut into strips|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||fresh asparagus, chopped|
|3 cups||(750 ml)||cooked brown rice|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||cottage cheese|
|1/4 cup||(50 ml)||cream cheese|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||sour cream|
|1/3 cup||(85 ml)||parmesan cheese|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||fresh parsley|
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Melt butter in heavy oven proof casserole dish, with a tight fitting lid, on medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until transparent. Add the washed rice and bay leaves stirring for 3 to 5 minutes until the rice begins to dry slightly.
- Stir in the chicken broth, season to taste and bring to boil. Cover with lid, place in oven and bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until liquid has completely evaporated. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- TIP: This rice freezes very well and is great to have available for casseroles and stir-fry’s. To freeze rice, place in a freezer bag, roll flat and seal.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (175C). Lightly butter a 9” by 13” (23 cm by 33 cm) baking dish and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Sauté the celery, carrots and minced garlic for 3 to 5 minutes. Add red pepper and asparagus and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked brown rice and chicken and set aside to cool for 10 to15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, and egg. Combine well with the rice mixture and spoon evenly into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. For a more crisp topping, place the casserole dish under a broiler for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
- TIP: This recipe lends itself well for those who wish to be creative with leftovers. Try introducing leftover turkey or your favorite roast. Include a variety of vegetables, and you have a casserole that is sure to please!