|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||butter|
|3- 14 oz.||cans of fire-roasted tomatoes|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||low sodium vegetable broth|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||whipping cream|
|2 tsp||(10 ml)||dried basil|
|1 tsp each||(5 ml)||Salt and pepper (approximately)|
|Crumbled feta cheese|
|Fresh basil (sliced)|
- In a heavy pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the cans of fire-roasted tomatoes (juice included) and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the broth and cream and bring the soup to a simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the soup thickens slightly, add the dried basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Don’t burn your mouth!) Lower the heat to medium and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup in small batches using a regular blender.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with crumbled feta cheese (about 1 tbsp (15 ml)) and add a couple leaves of basil. Enjoy!
- Note: By using a lower percent cream (i.e. table or half and half), or homogenized milk, you can still get a great tasting soup that is slightly lower in fat.