|4 cups||(1 L)||all-purpose flour|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||whole wheat flour|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||uncooked whole grain porridge cereal (e.g. Red River Cereal)|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||wheat germ or ground flax|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||brown sugar|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||kosher salt|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||baking soda|
|4 cups||(1 L)||buttermilk|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease (with butter) 2 large bread pans (12" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2"- 30 cm x 11 cm x 6 cm).
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cereal, wheat germ or ground flax, brown sugar and salt, and whisk well.
- Pour the buttermilk into a large liquid measuring cup and add the baking soda- the soda will react wih the buttermilk and start to bubble.
- Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk/soda combination. Mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the bread dough into 2 large butters bread pans.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Test with a sharp knife- if it comes out clean- it's done. Let rest for 10 minutes on cooling racks and then remove from the pan to finish cooling on rack.
This bread is perfect for open-faced toasted sandwiches, or as part of your breakfast with peanut butter or eggs (or even better- made into French toast!).