|2 tsp||(10 mL)||butter|
|4 tsp||(20 mL)||all-purpose flour|
|1 cup||(250 mL)||milk|
|1/2 cup||(125 mL)||finely grated Parmesan|
|1/2 tsp||(2 mL)||mustard powder|
|1/4 tsp||(1 mL)||each, hot sauce and salt|
|4 small slices||olive, cheese, or crusty Italian bread|
|4 thin slices||Black Forest ham|
|1||avocado, peeled and thinly sliced|
|chives for garnish|
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in milk. Stirring continuously, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for one minute.
- Whisk in Parmesan, mustard powder, hot sauce and salt. Remove from heat; sauce will thicken slightly while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Toast bread.
- Poach eggs in simmer water about 3 min. Cooking tip: Add about 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar to eggs’ poaching water; this helps eggs to hold their shape. Gently pat eggs dry with paper towel after cooking to prevent break from becoming soggy.
- Fold ham to fit on each slide of bread, followed by a slice of tomato, avocado slices then eggs. Drizzle with sauce then sprinkle with chives if using.