|1 1/2 lbs||(750 g)||mussels, cleaned and de-bearded|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||butter|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||onion, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||garlic, crushed, or more to taste|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||white wine or chicken stock|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||Salt/pepper, approximately|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||butter (at room temperature)|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||milk (3.25%)|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||Canadian parmesan, chopped|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||green onion, chopped|
|1 lb||(500 g)||whole grain pasta, dry|
- In a large pot on medium heat, melt the butter, add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic, mussels, white wine and season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until all mussels are open.
- Remove the mussels from the sauce to a bowl and keep warm.
- Simmer the remaining liquid in the pot for 3-5 minutes to reduce.
- While liquid is reducing mix together the butter and flour to form a thick paste.
- Whisk the butter and flour mixture into the liquid. The mixture will start to thicken, slowly whisk in the milk and whisk until smooth. Add the cheese, a little at a time and stir until smooth. Simmer over medium low until thickened and slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Adjust the seasoning to the sauce and add the mussels back to the pot.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and toss into the sauce until well coated. Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve immediately.