|2 1/2 lbs||(1.1 kg)||yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6)|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||milk, divided|
|3/4 cup||(175 ml)||shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese, divided|
|2 lbs||(900 g)||lean ground beef|
|4||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|1 1/2 tsp||(7 ml)||dried italian herb seasoning|
|3 tbsp||(45 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|19 oz||(540 ml)||can stewed tomatoes|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||barbecue sauce, divided|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||frozen peas, corn, or mixed vegatables|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||hot pepper sauce (to taste)|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Butter a 9x13-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
- In a pot, combine potatoes, 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt and 6 cups (1.5 L) cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, heat 1 cup (250 ml) of milk in a measuring cup in a microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat, just until steaming (not boiling).
- Drain potatoes well. Return to pot; mash with hot milk, half the cheese, and 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet over high heat cook beef, garlic, onion and italian seasoning. Break up meat with a spoon and cooke for about 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Spoon of any fat.
- Sprinkle flour over beed mixture; stir to combine. Gradually stire in remaining milk; boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Stire in tomatoes and 1/4 cup (75 ml) of the barbecue sauce. Return to a boil, breaking up tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes or until thick. Stir in vegetables and hot pepper sauce; season to taste with pepper and more of the barbecue sauce, if desired.
- Spread beef mixture in prepared baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is bubbling and potatoes are golden. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.