|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||butter|
|2||medium sized onions, thinly sliced|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||reduced-sodium beef broth|
|French baguette, cut into small cubes|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||grated Gruyere cheese|
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; sauté onions for about 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly caramelized.
- Stir in flour. Increase heat to high, stir in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until flavours are blended.
- Preheat broiler. While soup is simmering, broil baguette cubes until golden and crispy (about 2 minutes). Set aside.
- When soup is ready, layer ovenproof soup bowls with baguette cubes. Place bowls on baking sheet and ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with grated Gruyere. Broil until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Place bowls on serving plate and enjoy. Caution: the bowl is very hot!