|1 3/4 cups||(425 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||sugar|
|4 tsp||(20 ml)||baking powder|
|5 tbsp||(75 ml)||butter (very very cold)|
|1/3 cup + 1 tbsp||(75 ml + 15 ml)||milk|
|1/3 cup||(75 ml)||sour cream (light)|
|1/3 cup||(75 ml)||dried cranberries|
|1/3 cup +1 tbsp||(75 ml + 15 ml)||Canadian Cheddar cheese, grated|
|1||(large)||egg, lightly beaten|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||milk|
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse bread crumbs.
- Whisk together the 1/3 cup milk, sour cream, 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese and cranberries in a small bowl. Stir into the flour mixture with a fork just until the mixture is holding together nicely. You may need to use the additional 1 tbsp of milk if dough is too crumbly. (DO NOT OVER MIX)
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into about a 9”x 9” square. Fold the dough over into thirds and to make the rectangle, pat down to cut into 8 equal portions. Place the scones onto the baking sheet.
- Mix the egg and milk together in a small bowl; brush the egg wash on top of each scone (you will have some left over) and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until gently browned. Remove to a cooling rack. Serve with your favorite preserves and a cold glass of milk.
- *Tip: measure out the butter and set into the freezer.