|1 frozen 9-inch (23cm)||deep dish pie pastry shell|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||Dijon mustard|
|9 spears||fresh asparagus, trimmed|
|2 tbsp||(30 ml)||butter|
|1||shallot, finely chopped|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||salt, divided|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||pepper, divided|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||chopped fresh basil|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||shredded old cheddar, divided|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||2% milk|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake pastry shell for about 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool slightly. Brush with mustard; set aside.
- Chop asparagus, reserving tips to make about 1 cup (250 mL). In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook shallot, asparagus and half each of the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in basil to coat.
- Sprinkle pie shell with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the Cheddar cheese. Spoon asparagus mixture on top (hold on to the tips for garnish).
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and remaining salt and pepper. Gently pour mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and place asparagus tips decoratively on top.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until centre is set and knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes before slicing into wedges to serve.