There are many factors a dairy producer would consider when seeking a location for a dairy farm. Here are some of the factors that might be considered:
- Availability of suppliers (vets, equipment, feed companies, etc.)
- Land and infrastructure availability and cost
- Proximity to areas that have productive land for forage and grain crops
- Location of processing plants.
- Risk management – irrigation areas
- Many factors pertaining to the family dynamic beyond the farm, such as where their support is, such as family and friends
- Simply personal preference and what they value in a community