|2 cups||(500 ml)||thawed shredded zucchini (can also used fresh shredded zucchini)|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||milk|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||grated Parmesan, divided|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||whole wheat flour|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|dash of pepper|
If using thawed shredded zucchini: squeeze and drain excess water from thawed zucchini.
If using fresh shredded zucchini: place in a colander and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse with cold water, press out as much excess water as possible and blot the zucchini dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat waffle iron and preheat oven to its lowest setting.
- Whisk egg, milk and 1/4 cup (60 ml) Parmesan in a large bowl.
- Stir flours and pepper into mixture. Then stir in zucchini.
- Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron, a little room for spreading. The number of batches you make will depend on the size of your waffle iron. Note: if your waffle iron is not non-stick, you may want to grease it with cooking spray before scooping the batter on.
- Cook until lightly browned. Keep finished fritters in the warmed oven while you cook the rest of the batter.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) of Parmesan before serving.