|1 cup||(250 ml)||pitted cherries|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||sugar|
|1 1/2 cups||(375 ml)||2% milk|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||sugar|
|1 1/2 cups||(375 ml)||Half & Half cream|
- Chop up strawberries and cherries and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar. Mash into a tasty mess. Set aside.
- Separate eggs, reserving yolks in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat until light (it will have the consistency of watery mayonnaise).
- While beating, heat milk on stove until steamy, stirring occasionally.
- Progressively add the milk to the egg yolk mixture one spoonful at a time, stirring constantly. Once incorporated, transfer mixture to stove and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick – thick enough to cover the back of a spoon. You’ll know you reached the right texture when your spoon begins to give a little while mixing.
- Turn off heat and remove from stove immediately – you don’t want your custard to break! Transfer back into bowl, cover and let cool in fridge overnight or for at least 8 hrs.
- When ready to make ice cream, whisk in half & half and berries. Make ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze a little longer before serving.
- Enjoy. A lot!