|2||zucchini, cut into bite-size chunks|
|2||red peppers, cut into bite-sized chunks|
|1||yellow pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks|
|1/2||eggplant, cut into bite-sized chunks|
|1/4 cup||(60 ml)||olive oil|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||dried oregano|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||dried basil|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||salt|
|1/2 tsp||(2 m)||pepper|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||milk|
|1 cup||(250 ml)||15% or 18% cream|
|8 slices||white bread, divided|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||grated Canadian Mozzarella, divided|
|1 1/2 cups||(375 ml)||grated, Canadian Asiago, divided|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large bowl, toss together zucchini, red and yellow peppers, eggplant, oil, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper until vegetables are coated. Transfer to a baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk, cream, and eggs. Cut each slice of bread diagonally in half.
- Arrange 8 bread halves on the bottom of a buttered 9×13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Stir tomato into the roasted vegetables. Scatter half the vegetable mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with half the Mozzarella and half the Asiago.
- Arrange remaining bread halves on top. Scatter with remaining vegetables. Slowly pour milk mixture over top. Press gently to submerge bread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake for 45-50 minutes or until casserole is hot in the middle and cheese is a deep golden brown (cover for the last 10 minutes if browning too quickly). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.