|3 tbsp||(45 ml)||butter|
|1||large onion, thinly sliced|
|1 tsp||(5 ml)||cumin seeds|
|1/2 tsp||(2 ml)||curry powder|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||garam masala|
|1 18 oz||(540 ml)||low sodium canned lentils, drained and rinsed|
|2||celery stalks, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|6 1/2 cups||(1.6 L)||chicken or vegetable broth|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||chopped broccoli|
|2 cups||(500 ml)||loosely packed spinach|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||lemon juice|
|3/4 cup||(175 ml)||Greek yogurt|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, curry powder, garam masala, lentils, carrots, celery, and garlic. Add broth. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup. It should be thick but have some texture left. You can also use a blender to blend it in batches.
- Heat the soup again until it simmers and add broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add spinach until wilted.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Top each serving with 2 tbsp (30 ml) Greek yogurt.