|1/3 cup||(80 ml)||liquid honey|
|1/4 tsp||(1 ml)||salt|
|4 cups||(1 L)||milk|
|1 tbsp||(15 ml)||vanilla extract|
- In a heavy 8-cup (2 litre) saucepan, whisk together eggs, honey and salt. Gradually add 2 cups (500 ml) milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until mixture coats back of spoon (do not boil). Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in remaining milk and vanilla extract.
- Place bowl over ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool, about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When ready to serve, whisk in your favourite flavouring.
- Stir in 1/2 to 1 cup (125 to 250 ml) rum or brandy or a combination of both.
- Stir in 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 tbsp (15 ml) hot water or 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) rum extract.
- Stir in 2 cups (500 ml) softened vanilla ice cream and blend with whisk or mixer.
- Replace half of the milk with Amaretto, French Vanilla or Irish Cream flavoured dairy blend for coffee.