|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||raisins|
|5||dried apricots, chopped|
|6 slices||bread (buttered)|
|1/2 cup||(125 ml)||apricot jam|
|3/4 cup||(175 ml)||granulated sugar|
|3 cups||(750 ml)||hot milk|
|2 tsp||(10 ml)||vanilla|
|Icing sugar for dusting|
|Ice cream to serve|
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Place raisins and apricots in a bowl, cover with boiling water. Let soften for 10 minutes then drain well.
- Sprinkle half of fruit on bottom of a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Spread bread with jam. Cut each piece of bread in half diagonally (if using square slices, or they can be left whole if desired). Arrange bread, jam side up, on top of fruit, overlapping if necessary.
- Sprinkle remaining half of fruit over the bread.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Pour over bread.
- Place in a water bath (a larger pan half-filled with very hot water).
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar. Serve with ice cream if desired.