Edmonton – Alberta Milk’s New Entrant Assistant Program (NEAP) will be accepting applications starting January 1, 2018. The program’s goal is to help alleviate the costs associated with starting a dairy farm in Alberta. It works by offering a quota loan at no cost to the successful applicants. The 2018 program has been improved to make it more sustainable for current and future participants. Alberta Milk will be accepting applications until March 31, 2018.
About the Program
- The program works by providing 2kg of loaned quota at no cost for every 1kg bought (previously 1:1), up to a maximum of 25 kg/day. The 25kg loan translates to enough quota to milk about 18-25 additional cows.
- The quota loan gradually expires beginning in the 11th year (previously seven years) at a rate of 10 per cent per year and is reduced to zero at the end of year 19.
- While using the program, new entrants can expand up to 100 kg/day of total quota holdings, or about 71-100 cows (previously maximum 70 kg/day).
- The process to qualify for the program consists of submitting a two-year financial business plan, a 10-year implementation plan, a risk mitigation plan, and a signed conditional approval letter from the applicant’s financial institution agreeing to finance their operation.
- The program started in 2011 and has welcomed 17 new dairy farms into the province and is reviewed annually.
- Up to three qualified applications will be accepted in 2018.
- You do not need to join this program to become a dairy farmer in Alberta.
“As we look forward, having programs that support new entrants assures the sustainability of our industry,” says Chairman Tom Kootstra. “We have made adjustments to the program to improve the opportunity for new dairy farmers to succeed.”
Further details about the program can be found at albertamilk.com or call Jonathan at 1-877-361-1231.
About Alberta Milk
Alberta Milk represents the province’s dairy producers. Our vision is growing a sustainable dairy industry by being a trusted source of quality milk.
Karlee Conway, Communications Specialist
780.577.3305 (o) | 780-938-5963 (c)