You can tell the holidays are in the air. Chatter about family plans, and talk of holiday baking may make you want to start preparing early, but how do you choose from all of the delicious options?
I was forced to make a decision quickly when I was stuck with some chocolate milk that was almost at its best before date. Chocolate milk is typically a household favourite, so it usually doesn’t last long, but it’s nice to have a recipe on hand for those not-so-often occasions when you need to use it up.
While it’s very easy to find a recipe that uses milk, one using chocolate milk is much less common. This recipe took a little bit of tweaking, but I think I’ve found a nice balance of chocolate and coffee.
If you’re like most of us Dairy Divas, we love milk, and we also love the festive season. Gingerbread means holidays to us and this Chocolate Café au Lait Coffee Cake pairs beautifully with a gingerbread flavoured steamed milk or latte.
You can make your own simple Gingerbread Syrup by following these easy steps:
1. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together 2 cups (500 ml) water, 1 cup white sugar (250 ml). Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to medium heat.
2. Whisk in 1 tbsp (15 ml) cinnamon, 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger, ½ tbsp (7 ml) all spice, ½ tbsp (7 ml) nutmeg, and ½ tbsp (7 ml) ground cloves.
3. Cook over medium heat until mixture reduces by half and syrup coats the back of a spoon.
4. Heat 1 cup (250 ml) of milk and mix with 1 tbsp (15 ml) gingerbread syrup (and espresso if you’d like a latte).
5. Store extra syrup in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.
You can also mix this syrup into your favourite morning coffee for a special holiday treat.
What holiday treat combinations are your favourites at this time of year?