What does your favourite cheese say about your personality? (Spoiler alert: I’m having trouble picking just one favourite!) With National Cheese Lover’s Day coming up on January 20, perhaps it’s time to dive in and find out! I admit, I’m a sucker for these types of quizzes and assessments. Who doesn’t love reading that they’re a healthy, great cook with impeccable taste? When people think of cheese, their mind often goes to different types of hard cheese like cheddar, or creamy brie. But soft cheeses such as ricotta and marscapone are versatile and delicious too.
Stuffed pasta shells – a great meal to share
Do you know someone going through a hard time that you’d like to bring a dish to? Attending a potluck? Looking for a family dinner idea that everyone will enjoy? These stuffed pasta shells are perfect; I have yet to find someone who is not a fan. In my circle of friends this meal always shows up when someone has a new baby. And, when I tested it in the office, it was gone in a flash. If you are giving this meal away, I would recommend using a disposable foil pan. Since this meal also freezes well, you could also ask in advance if the person would like to receive it fresh or frozen.
Tips for success
While making stuffed pasta shells takes more time than dumping a jar of sauce on spaghetti, the meal is worth it because everyone loves it! Here are my top tips:
- Don’t be intimidated by the idea of stuffing the shells; it’s super quick and easy.
- Cook extra pasta in case some shells break.
- Cook the pasta al dente (tender but firm) so they hold their shape.
- Separate the shells before they cool; they can get stuck inside each other when they cook.
- Look for the little blue cow when buying cheese to ensure high quality Canadian milk was used.
- Cottage cheese works instead of ricotta if that’s what you have on hand.
- Double the recipe: keep one for your family then give one away or freeze it for another day.
Pair the pasta with a crisp salad and you’ve got a delicious meal to celebrate National Cheese Lover’s Day!
Looking for more?
The Dairy Divas are on Facebook! Visit our Facebook page to stay up to date on dairy, nutrition and more!
Written by a Registered Dietitian.