How many times have you found yourself looking at the clock and hoping it was lunch time, only to realize it’s barely 10 a.m.? As a busy intern, I’ve found myself in this situation all too often.
Enter these powerful parfaits. They’re sweet, satisfying, and can give you the burst of energy you need to make it until lunch. Plus, they take under five minutes to put together!
To build the perfect parfait, follow these five simple steps:
- Add ½ cup (125 ml) plain Greek yogurt to a small, portable container.
- Mix in a flavour booster. Try a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, cocoa powder or lemon zest.
- Add ½ cup (125 ml) of your favourite fruit. Some of my favourites include berries (fresh or frozen), apple, banana and canned peaches.
- Add ½ to 1 tbsp (7.5 – 15 ml) of protein booster. Hemp hearts, nut butters and slivered almonds all pack a powerful protein punch.
- Finish with ½ to 1 tbsp (7.5 – 15 ml) of fibre booster. Chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, rolled oats or bran buds are all great choices.
If you’re making these in advance, be sure to separate your protein and fibre boosters (there’s nothing worse than realizing your crunchy bran buds are not so crunchy anymore). Keep the boosters in a small container and add them right before digging in.
Starting with these five simple steps, the possibilities are endless. What’s your favourite powerful parfait combo?
The Dairy Divas are on Facebook! Visit our Facebook page to stay up to date on dairy, nutrition and more!
The Dairy Diva’s thank Sarah Morland, Dietetic Intern for her contribution to this blog.