Apples are a staple at my house year round because they are affordable, nutritious and always a winning snack. Everyone seems to have their favourites (Pink Lady for me, Gala for my husband, anything without the peel for my son) depending on their preferences for flavour and crunch. In addition to enjoying them on their own, I like to cook and bake with apples. From my kitchen to yours, here are five of my favourite recipes.
1. Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips. If your apples have seen better days, this is a great way to use them up. I remember trying apple chips for the first time at a local farmer’s market and thinking, “hey, I could do that.” It really was easy, you just need a little bit of time at home.
2. Green Granny Pancakes. My family loves breakfast foods, and this is the most requested pancake recipe at my house. We always make a full or double batch and freeze the leftovers to pop in the toaster another day. Try them with a smear of peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup – delicious.
3. Maple Cinnamon Apple Butter. This recipe uses a ton of apples, so it’s a good one to keep around if you have a prolific apple tree in your yard…or a friend who likes to share their harvest. I have also given it as Christmas gifts in a mason jar. The best ways to enjoy apple butter are on toast with sharp cheddar cheese or alongside pork tenderloin.
4. Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats. How many recipes do you have that cook overnight? If you want to wake up to the delightful scent of cinnamony-apple goodness, and a no-fuss breakfast, then trying these steel cut oats is a must. This recipe makes a lot so it’s a great one to whip out if you’re hosting a crowd or if you want a week of easy breakfasts.
5. Classic Pork with Apples. If you need a dinnertime recipe to impress, this is it. Even though the pork chops are cooked in a pan on the stove, it’s very easy to prepare. Between the apples and the grainy Dijon sauce it plates beautifully and looks very fancy. When I tested it in the office, it disappeared in a flash, too!
I know this list only scratches the surface of all the great recipes you can make with apples; I mean, apple crisp, Waldorf salad and applesauce aren’t even here! But I think that only shows the amazing versatility of this tasty fruit.
Do you have a favourite apple recipe? Share a link in the comments; I’d love to add to my repertoire!
The Dairy Divas are on Facebook! Visit our Facebook page to stay up to date on dairy, nutrition and more!
Written by a Registered Dietitian.