Alberta Milk does not currently have any openings. However, when our partners have exciting opportunities, we will share them here.
Closes: December 13th, 2019
Agricultural, Food & Nutritional Science – Dairy Research Unit
This position has a term length of 1 year and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits.
Located on South campus, the Dairy Research Technology Centre (DRTC) is a 350-foot long dairy barn, including 146 tie stalls and a pipeline milking system housing a herd of about 180 Holstein cows. The unit supports research in production efficiency and sustainability, reproductive efficiency and nutritional quality of milk. Reporting to the Unit Supervisor, the Dairy Technician works with others in a team environment following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the DRTC.
This position works rotating shifts including some weekends.
Please note that this work requires some potential exposure to allergens.
- Follows standard operating procedures to independently milk all cows using milking equipment and ensures that quality of milk meets regulatory Canadian Quality Milk Program and ProAction
- Maintains milking equipment and other farm equipment as required
- Mixes and delivers feed to all animals by following feeding procedures; this includes completing weigh backs and accurate record-keeping of feed data
- Maintains a clean environment for all animals, daily cleaning of the milk house, feed room and other areas within the farm buildings
- Monitors and assists with calving
- Manages newborn calf records, registration with Holstein Canada, feeding, care, dehorning and teat removal
- Monitors animal behaviour and health; reports and records abnormalities
- Administers and records daily treatments to all animals within the dairy unit
- Assist with training of junior and casual staff
- Assists graduate students and researchers on handling and restraining experimental animals and additional duties when required such as milk sampling and changes to feed routines
- Communicates daily with co-workers, supervisor, and manager regarding operational issues or concerns
- Operates Dairy Unit equipment which includes tractors, skid steer, Bobman, and the barn cleaner
- Minimum High School Diploma; Diploma in Animal Health Technician preferred
- Minimum of one year of practical experience in dairy husbandry and machinery operation
- Knowledge of use of common animal drugs
- Considerable experience in operating and maintaining agricultural equipment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
For more information or to view the job posting, please visit the job posting website.
Visit our Farm Labour Site to post a resume or to upload a job posting.Click here for job postings